Riding Lessons and More in Central Virginia

Friday, August 26, 2011

Shaken, Not Stirred

Quite a few of my friends in Massachusetts have asked, "Do you live near where the earthquake happened?" and the answer is, "Oh, yes!" The dogs and I were sitting on the front porch when the house began shaking and rattling, which I thought meant an imminent gas explosion, so we ran across the yard. Once I realized the trembling wasn't just my house (and I have a heat pump anyway), I checked all the animals, who were fine, and fortunately the only effects were a few items that fell off shelves and pictures off walls. Unfortunately, the aftershock at 8:00 pm that night struck just as the dogs and I were heading up the porch steps into the house - so now Nilla the puppy is extremely suspicious of the front porch!

The neighbor children had given me little bottles of colored sand as a birthday present, and here's how one looked after the quake: