Riding Lessons and More in Central Virginia

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'll Have Another

Wow!  I hope everyone had a chance to watch last Saturday's Preakness Stakes, when I'll Have Another just stretched out his stride in the final eighth of a mile to win by a neck at the last possible instant!  It looked like it took him a moment or two to switch leads at the top of the stretch, but once he swapped, he found a new gear and made for a thrilling finish.  I was only 8 years old when Affirmed won the Triple Crown, but I remember how exciting it was -- and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll Have Another will go on to win the Belmont Stakes in three weeks and become our twelfth Triple Crown winner.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, several of our good lesson horses were thinking, "I'll have another...rider, that is," as we hosted a couple of large groups last week.  The birthday party, in honor of a special 4 year old girl who arrived in pink tutu skirt and stylish white cowboy boots, was a great hit.  We even had some riders under age 2, for sure!  Fortunately, your humble correspondent planned ahead and purchased an additional child's helmet, size XS, in advance of this pre-school group.

Then last Friday, at least 20 homeschooled students and families visited the farm for their end-of-year field trip.  They contrasted giant Pungo and little Misty to learn about different breeds, helped groom a quartet of gentle schoolies, and a few of them witnessed Patsy Cline Chicken lay an egg, right in the middle of all the excitement!  After picnicking on the lawn, the kids hiked down to the vernal pool, where the last tadpoles were still working on growing those legs, while newly emerged, tiny frogs hopped around the field nearby.

Many, many thanks to all my wonderful helpers at the party and the homeschool field day!  I could NOT have done it with out you, and I saw lots of smiles on happy faces -- THANK YOU!